part of APPENDIX F
Field Museum of Natural History
1400 South Lake Shore Drive
The Field Museum was incorporated in the State of Illinois in 1893 as the Columbian Museum of Chicago . Its purpose, the "accumulation and dissemination of knowledge, and the preservation and exhibition of objects illustrating art, archaeology, science and history." In 1905, the Museum's name was changed to Field Museum of Natural History to honor the Museum's first major benefactor, Marshall Field, and to better reflect its focus on the natural sciences. In 1921 the Museum moved to its present site.
The museum maintains a substantial collection of around 400 Andamanese objects such as wooden, rattan and bamboo items of daily and ritual use. The collection goes back to A.R. Radcliffe-Brown who acquired the items during his field trip to the Andamans 1906-08.
The Museum claims that its Andamanese collection is the only one of the largest and best-preserved in the United States.
The Museum runs a New Guinean research program of some interest to Andamanologists: http://www.fieldmuseum.org/research_collections/anthropology/anthro_sites/pacific_web/ngrp.htm
No list of Andamanese items held by the Field Museum is available.
Last changed 6 December 2003